I love tacos! You just can’t go wrong with them! They’re so easy to customize with the foods your family loves. You can have chicken, steak, seafood, or any type of ground meat topped with veggies and cheese on a warm tortilla. Ground beef with sauteed bell peppers? Yum! Fish with spicy slaw? Yes please! Grilled chicken with melted cheese, shredded lettuce and guacamole? Now we’re talking!
Benefits of Shrimp
Let’s talk about Shrimp Tacos though. They’re one of the best tacos in my opinion! Shrimp is a great source of lean protein that is full of key nutrients like Zinc, Vitamin E, B6, B12 and Omega3! Eating a variety of seafood during pregnancy is linked to better brain development in babies and these benefits have been seen with as little as four ounces per week! Shrimp is a great seafood for babies to try when they begin eating solids. The texture is not flaky like most seafood, so infants can easily chew on small pieces as they begin exploring foods and flavors. To avoid choking hazards, mince it into other foods or slice it lengthwise to butterfly it and eliminate a round, cylindrical shape. Shellfish is one of the nine foods that account for 90% of food allergies and serious allergic reactions in the US. When introducing shellfish like shrimp to your infant, start with very small amounts in case you begin to notice a reaction.
Fast and Versatile
I especially love this “one pan wonder” taco recipe because it doesn’t leave a mess in my kitchen and everything is ready in 10 minutes! We top these shrimp tacos with Pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds) for a little nutrient boost! Pumpkin seeds are highly nutritious and packed with powerful antioxidants. They have been shown to improve heart health, blood sugar levels, and sleep quality. They can also help with improved energy, mood, and immunities. You can easily pan sear this dish on your stovetop if you prefer not to heat up your oven. Younger kiddos may choose to have their dinner as a cheese quesadilla with shrimp and veggies on the side as some eaters don’t like to mix ingredients or feel nervous to try new foods. Shrimp tacos are great for nervous eaters, adventurous eaters, and ravenous eaters!
Sheet Pan Shrimp Tacos
- 1 1/2 pounds of fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- several turns of freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons of ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ cup pepitas
- fresh cilantro
- tortillas, warmed
- Garnish: white mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, shrimp, olive oil, salt and pepper and spices.
- Toss to combine.
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread shrimp, bell peppers and onions on a baking sheet.
- Wrap the stack of tortillas in foil and place on the lower rack of the oven. Place baking sheet with shrimp mixture on the upper rack.
- Cook at 450 degrees for about 8 minutes. Then turn the oven to broil and cook for additional 2 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a small skillet over medium high heat. Toast pepitas for 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When it is done, squeeze juice from fresh lime over shrimp fajita mixture and top with fresh cilantro. Toss to coat.
- Serve in warm tortillas and top with toasted pepitas. Garnish with white mexican cheese.