School is starting back and fall sports are ramping up! Afternoons seem to fly by with music practice, sports scrimmages and homework. On nights like these, I like to make dinner ahead of time so we can run in the door and eat a home cooked meal as soon as our activities are finished. The instant pot and slow cooker are my best friend when it comes to “set it and forget it” meal prep! This cilantro lime chicken is an easy, high protein dish that can be made in the instant pot and left on warm until you’re ready to enjoy it on tacos, salads, nachos or rice bowls. Shredding the chicken makes it easy for little hands to self feed, or older kiddos to easily eat with spoons.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp ancho chili pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 small 8 oz can of corn, or two ears of corn with kernels removed
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Shredded colby jack or jalapeno jack cheese for garnish
- Using at least a 6 quart instant pot, add chicken, stock, oil, seasonings, lime juice, and half the chopped cilantro.
- Close the lid, seal the pressure valve and set on high for 15 minutes with thawed chicken or 20 minutes for frozen chicken.
- Once the time is up, allow the pressure to naturally release for ~10 minutes (just leave it alone), then manually release the rest of the pressure by opening the valve. Then remove the lid.
- Shred the chicken. Either use your handheld mixer in pot, stirring in the juices, or shred with two forks.
- Add the extra chopped cilantro, frozen spinach, and corn. Toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve atop tortillas, nachos, salad, or rice bowls and top with avocado and cheese!
*Want extra fiber and protein? Stir in a can of rinsed black beans!
*Want to let it cook all day? Set the slow cooker to low for 8 hours and let the delicious aromas fill your kitchen for a warm welcome when you get home!