Tis the season for Christmas parties! White elephant, cookie exchange, or a feliz navidad fiesta… so many ways to celebrate the holiday season and they almost always revolve around food. While I love peppermint bark and homemade fudge, I try to stay away from an excess of desserts during the holidays. Our kiddos already have more access to sugar with gingerbread houses, hot chocolate bars, and candy canes everywhere you look. When I’m gathering with friends and family, I like to bring a savory and nutritious appetizer to parties so I know there will be a healthy option for my family to fall back on. Introducing Seven Layer Dip! Beans, cheese, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa…all of our favorite taco toppings scooped into a giant Frito or Tostitos scoop chip! It doesn’t take much time to prepare and there are endless varieties you can make! You can make your dip in a chip and dip bowl, using the larger section for your dip so it looks like a wreath and the small center for chips or salsa. Or perhaps you like to put your Seven Layer Dip in a Christmas tree baking pan to look like a green holiday tree and pipe it with sour cream “tinsel”. You can decorate with diced bell peppers, green onions, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, jalapenos, chopped cilantro or shredded white cheese. Get creative!
Nothing Naughty Here!
My kids love the flavors in Seven Layer Dip and your party guests will too! It’s packed with protein, fiber, vegetables and healthy fats to keep everyone pleasantly full and without the dreaded sugar crash. Seven Layer Dip lasts 3-4 days in the fridge (but will probably be devoured before then). The longer it is refrigerated, the more the layers will bleed together, causing it to get a little watery. Just drain it off! After the first 24 hours, the avocado may start to brown but adding a squirt of lime juice will help and the blended flavors will taste fantastic together! If you have any leftovers (which you probably won’t) scoop them into a tortilla for a quick bean burrito. This holiday appetizer is sure to be a hit with your kiddos and at your next holiday get together!
7 Layer Dip Recipe
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream, more for decorating
- 1 Tbsp Tajin chili lime salt
- 1 cup prepared guacamole (I prefer wholly guacamole)
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 1 bag Fritos Scoops or Tostitos Scoops
- Optional toppings: sliced olives, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, diced jalapenos, green onions
- Using a mesh strainer or sieve, remove liquid from salsa to keep dip from becoming runny. Set liquid aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine refried beans and 2 Tbsp salsa liquid. Mix until smooth. Spread into the bottom of your serving pan.
- Combine sour cream, cream cheese and Tajin and mix until smooth.
- Spread over the refried beans. Repeat with drained salsa. Then top with shredded cheese.
- Finally, cover everything with a smooth layer of guacamole. Garnish your Christmas wreath (or tree) with sour cream, tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, green onions or sliced olives. Scoop with your favorite corn chips!