School is starting back and mornings can feel rushed and hectic! I’m always trying to find strategies to make the early morning rush a little less chaotic… pack lunches at night, set out backpacks by the door, lay out clothes to wear, and don’t forget to sign all the forms in the daily folders! A calm morning sets the tone for a great day for our kiddos. That’s why I love waking up to overnight oats!
These slow cooker steel cut oats cook while you sleep and are full of nutrients to start the day off right. Steel cut oats are less processed than traditional rolled oats, so they have a lower glycemic index. This means it takes the body longer to digest, slowing the conversion of starches to sugar so your belly stays satisfied much longer! Most instant oatmeal comes flavored (brown sugar, apples and cinnamon, etc) which adds 11-12 grams of sugar per serving. These delicious steel cut oats are made with bananas, cinnamon and nutmeg so they smell and taste amazing! Just put the ingredients in your slow cooker before bed and in the morning, breakfast will be warm and ready! Everyone can customize their breakfast with the toppings of their choice and leftovers can easily be saved and reheated the next day.
Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1.5 cups steel cut oats (do not substitute instant or rolled oats)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups milk, any kind
- 2 large, ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
Optional: 2 Tbsp chia seeds, flax seed meal, or hulled hemp seeds for a nutritional boost
- Toppings: sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, walnuts, pecans, raisins, peanut butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, or granola
- Combine all ingredients except toppings in a 6-8 quart slow cooker (steel cut oats, water, milk, mashed bananas, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and optional seeds)
- Stir to mix evenly.
- Cover and cook on low to 7-8 hours overnight or on high for 4 hours. The oats will be soft but maintain a bit of chewiness.
- Remove cover and stir to combine the ingredients evenly. Enjoy with your favorite toppings!
- Overnight steel cut oats can be refrigerated for up to 7 days or frozen for up to 2 months. To reheat, top desired amount with a couple tablespoons or milk or water, then reheat in the microwave.